Celebrate the Holidays in Vail, Colorado
Celebrate the holidays in Vail, Colorado
There’s something magical about Christmas time in Vail. Snowflakes fall from the sky and leave a white blanket atop the rooftops. At night, the warm glow of lampposts light the cobbled streets. Pine garlands, red bows and strings of lights festoon the ice skating rinks and Alpine chalets. It’s the perfect setting to celebrate the holidays with your family. From tree lightings to lantern walks and visits with Santa, there are plenty of fun events taking place the next few weeks that are sure to put you in the Christmas spirit.
December 11: Dickens Carolers
• 6 to 7 p.m.: The Dickens Carolers will sing traditional carols in the Town of Vail Public Library’s Fireside Lounge. Dressed in Dickens’ fashions, this group has been singing in the streets of Vail for more than 35 years.
December 14: Family Fireplace Holiday Party
• 5 to 8 p.m.: The Vail Public Library hosts its annual holiday party with crafts, songs, and a visit from Santa.
December 15: Meet Santa Claus
• 11 a.m. to Noon: Children age 3 and younger are invited to meet Santa Claus at the Vail Public Library. Enjoy special kids activities and a visit from Santa himself.
Taking place Dec. 16-31, Vail’s Holidays takes an already iconic setting and adds family activities to the mix. Vail Holidays events bring an even more festive vibe to the Yuletide, perfect for helping your family celebrate the season.
December 16: Holiday Fun Run
• 8:30 to 10 a.m. A Holiday Fun Run is slated to take place.
December 16/17: The Kris Kringle Market
• 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The Kris Kringle Market at the International Bridge is the perfect place to find a unique Holiday gift or souvenir, such as handmade toys, Christmas ornaments and decorations, cookies, chocolate treats, roasted nuts and more. The Vail Kris Kringle Market is always striving to make our visitors’ experience an unforgettable one. Enjoy live music, St Nick, local craft vendors, authentic food and drink, and a true spirit of the Holiday Season.
December 17: Vail Tree Lighting and preliminary activities
• 2 to 4 p.m.: Pre‐Tree Lighting Activities at Arrabelle in Vail Square
Ice skating and cookie decoration for kids of all ages (fees apply for ice skating). Vail skating club on site in holiday costumes. Watch for Santa Claus!
• 5 to 6:30 p.m.: Tree lighting at Slifer Square (by Covered Bridge)
Enjoy live holiday music by the Children’s Choir. Join Santa and other area dignitaries to illuminate Vail’s beautiful tree. See ice sculptures that have been placed around Vail for the season.
December 22: Lantern Walk and Winterfest Opening
• 4:30 to 5:15 p.m.: Holiday Lantern Walk in Vail Village to the Gore Creek Promenade
This free walk begins at 5 p.m. Complimentary LED lights for your lantern & other treats will be distributed before the walk. Falling upon the winter solstice, enjoy this joyful community gathering and celebration of light. The short jolly procession through Vail Village will include illuminated lanterns and live music, as we wind our way to the Gore Creek Promenade for the opening celebration of the Eleventh Annual Vail Winterfest Ice Theater.
• 5:15 p.m.: Grand Opening Celebration of the 11th annual Vail Winterfest Ice Theater at Gore Creek Promenade
Join the merriment as the community is invited to celebrate the coolest outdoor ice theater. Art in Public Places with ice sculptor Paul Wertin/Alpine Ice will bring back the popular free and family friendly cinematic experience in ice again this winter season. Lounge in oversized ice chairs while enjoying the scenic Gore Creek during the day and film projections on a screen created in ice in the evening. The Vail Winterfest Ice Theater will feature favorite holiday cartoon “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (1966) at the opening celebration. Projection begins daily at dusk until 10 p.m. and will be on view until the ice melts!
December 31: New Year festivities
Once you’ve recovered from all the holiday festivities, ring in the New Year Vail style on New Year’s Eve.
• 6:15 p.m.: Torchlight Parade
Come to Golden Peak to watch the annual Torchlight Parade and fireworks at Golden Peak. Watch as ski instructors and Vail locals form a glowing train as they ski down Golden Peak with glowing sticks followed by a fireworks display.
• Dusk: Fireworks
Watch as fireworks explode over Vail Mountain to celebrate 2018.
See Santa at Gorsuch
Gorsuch in Vail Village hosts Santa every year. Santa Claus poses for photos with children and adults alike and listens to Christmas wishes. You’ll find Santa at Gorsuch (located at 263 East Gore Creek Drive) on the following days/times
- December 9-10, 16-17, 20-23 from 3 to 6 p.m.
- December 24 from Noon to 3 p.m.
Call 970-476-2294 to learn more.
December 8: WhoVail Unveiling
• 4 p.m.: Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail will kick off the festive season with the unveiling of its fifth annual WhoVail, a life-sized Dr. Seuss Whoville-inspired gingerbread house. The Vail Mountain School choir will sing Christmas carols and there will be complimentary eggnog, hot chocolate and cookies as the Grinch himself makes the official proclamation that December 8th is WhoVail day! WhoVail will be live throughout the festive season to visit.
Built in-house, last year’s WhoVail was a 140-square-foot structure made using more than 2,500 gingerbread tiles and 360 pounds of icing.
December 18-24: Christmas Story Read-A-Longs
• 4:30 p.m. New this year, stop in for the Christmas Story Read-A-Longs daily Monday, December 18 through Sunday, December 24. Come hear your favorite Christmas stories read by local celebrities inside WhoVail.
Stop in to the property, located at 1 Vail Road, to see this beautiful work of art. Call 970-477-8600 to learn more.
Need a Date Night?
If you’re hoping to sneak away for a romantic dinner and need someone to watch the kids, don’t worry, there are two reputable childcare services we highly recommend.
• Activity Sitters: Call 970-376-6389 or visit www.facebook.com/Activitysitters.
• Care 4 Kids: Call 970-748-0857 or visit www.babysittinginvail.com.